Maria Elena De Benedetti, MD
- Cardiac Rhythm Device Implantation and Management Sub Fellowship: Henry Ford Hospital and Vascular Institute, Detroit, MI, Wayne State University, Detroit, MI
- Clinical Cardiology Fellowship: Henry Ford Hospital Heart and Vascular Institute, Detroit, MI, Wayne State University, Detroit MI
- Residency Training: St. Luke’s-Roosevelt Hospital Center, New York NY, Columbia University College of Physicians and Surgeons, New York, NY
- M.D. Degree: Universidad Peruana Cayetano Heredia, San Martin de Porres, Lima, Peru
About the Provider
Dr. De Benedetti is 50% Italian / 50 % Peruvian. She was born in Peru but raised in Italy. She attended med school in Peru and came to the U.S. for residency training and stayed on for fellowship waiver and came to El Paso a year ago. Her passion for medicine started when she was 15 years old, and was volunteering in the burn unit of a pediatric hospital in Lima, Peru as part of a pre requisite in preparation for the sacrament of confirmation. Through that experience she realized that she wanted to spend the rest of her life helping others feel better. In high school science was her favorite subject, so she decided to pursue a career in medicine.
Since her very first years in med school, she was fascinated by the physiology and hemodynamics of the cardiovascular system. She was between cardiovascular surgery and cardiology but opted for the later, because she enjoys the clinical aspect of cardiology and the ability to interact with patients in clinic while still doing procedures and reading imaging studies. She has always been very good with her hands, so she wanted to choose a specialty that would allow her to develop her procedural skills; therefore, cardiology seemed the perfect fit.
She worked hard to get into cardiology from day 1 of her medical training. Dr. De Benedetti was always an exceptional resident and was given the opportunity to enter a cardiology fellowship. She worked hard through the fellowship as well, including having 3 pregnancies and deliveries while doing procedures and getting back to work in just 3-4 weeks. It has been a tough road, but she wouldn't change it for anything.
In the middle of her cardiology training, she realized that she had a passion for arrhythmias and more specific for cardiac rhythm device implantation and management. She decided to take on an extra year to train in cardiac rhythm device implantation and management and became an expert on this topic.
“As a woman in cardiology, I think I have a lot to offer to the patients. Recent randomized clinical data shows that patients that are taken care of by female cardiologists have better outcomes than those treated by male cardiologists.”
Dr. De Benedetti has a passion for service and she is very compassionate, which makes her very well-liked by her patients, and this has brought her enormous satisfaction throughout the years, despite the sacrifice that it entails, especially being away from her kids long hours.
Her personal interests are being a very good doctor to her patients, guiding them through the medical decision process of their illness putting them first and not any other interests, to provide exceptional medical care and to be a good teacher to the nurses, med students and others that are around her. On a more personal level, Dr. Benedetti loves El Paso because of its people, first and foremost but also because of its outdoors. She enjoys biking and hiking around Tom Mays Franklin Mountain State Park. She also enjoys music; she played the piano all her life and enjoys classic music very much. She also loves the Opera and Ballet.
As a family, they enjoy horseback riding activities in El Paso; in fact, her daughter trains daily for horseback riding / jumping category. They also love to travel. They visit Europe and South America every year, to visit family, but also take a trip to a new destination in every trip they make. Travel has always been a big part of her life. She believes she has visited every continent and knows very well every corner of Italy and Peru.
Dr. De Benedetti is a fan of healthy eating and daily exercising and has a passion to develop a preventive cardiology program also here in El Paso
- Cardiology, Invasive with focus on Cardiac Rhythm Device Implantation and Management
- Transvenous Pacemaker Implantation and Management
- Leadless Pacemaker Implantation ( MICRA) and Management
- Transvenous Defibrillator Implantation and Management
- Subcutaneous Defibrillator Implantation and Management
- His Bundle Pacing for Pacemaker Implantation
- Implantable Loop Recorder Insertion and Management
- Device Clinic Management including Remote Monitoring of Cardiac Rhythm Devices
- Ambulatory Cardiac Rhythm Monitoring and Interpretation
- Antiarrhythmic Drug Loads
- Echocardiography, transthoracic and transesophageal
- Stress testing: Echocardiography and Nuclear Modalities
- Diagnostic Right and Left Heart Catheterization